Brecksville Reservation - Deer Lick Cave

As I alluded to over on my instagram, I'm going to be starting a little project here on my blog. I am very interested in the idea of nature journaling, but I have decided (not surprisingly) to add photographs rather than drawings. Let me know if you have any experience with nature journaling or ideas down below -- I'm keen to learn.

OK let's begin.

Impression
Brecksville Reservation - 1/14/18
Deer Lick Cave Trail
10 degrees F; sunny

cold, clear, quiet; the sound of woodpeckers




I have been many times to Brecksville Reservation, but somehow never in the snow. Bundled up in my down coat, I approached the trailhead eagerly. What would I find? What would Deer Lick Cave look like, blanketed with fresh snow? I pass by the nature center. As is typical for winter, the bird feeders are bustling with activity. A tufted titmouse approached me, cocked its head inquiringly, studying me with its bright black eyes. No food, it concluded; it flew away.

I headed down the steps, crossed the small bridge over the frozen stream.

I wish I could record here the music of the water as it danced under the ice. I paused to take a few photographs of the scene, enchanting in the snow.


I continued on, boots making soft crunching sounds in the snow. A squirrel bounded through the woods; to me, he seemed joyous, but I imagined that he felt urgent. The forest revealed itself anew in the snow, open and clear with the scrubby underbrush hidden by a blanket of white. I could see deeper into the small valleys now, down to the frozen stream, hidden in summer by ebullient green.


The snow revealed as well messages of those who had passed through; deer tracks criss-crossed the forest, but I wouldn't see their owners until much later in my hike.

Every time I paused, I heard the distant knocking of woodpeckers. I scanned the canopy for them, but could only spot a nuthatch, clinging sideways to a pine. It too flew away.




Deer Lick Cave itself is a massive boulder that sits atop a seep. A small creek meanders through, dipping in and out and in between several of its companion boulders. Now, in January, large icicles dangle from its rim, like the fangs of an ancient beast.


They glisten in the sun. In fact, from every boulder I see, delicate, narrow icicles dangle. A small winter wonderland, hidden in the woods.



Trail Details:
Length: ~ 4 miles
Best time of year: All
Difficulty: Moderate
Fees: None
Trail Map

In terms of my nature journaling, I think this isn't a bad start, but I focused very heavily on my experience outdoors. I would like to transition to a more descriptive style of what I am actually seeing, chronicling the trails I know and love throughout the seasons. Thoughts?


That's it! Keep on hiking, folks, and don't forget to subscribe and follow me here and here! Looking for more? Check out my favorite trails.

Comments

Popular Posts