Ohio Roadtrip: Hocking Hills State Park

When I think of magical woodlands, I don't think of Ohio. When I think of Ohio, I think of farmland. But the trick of Hocking Hills is that, while relatively secret to those outside of Ohio, it is an extremely popular hiking and camping destination to those in the know. Hocking Hills is an easy drive from Northeast Ohio. I drove there and back the same day.

There are many, many, many much more exhaustive guides to this little gem - don't think of this post like that. This is merely a vignette of a one-day escape.

At the trailhead for Old Man's Cave
Hocking Hills actually isn't one park but a region preserved in several divided, non-contiguous parks. I visited Hocking Hills State Park, which has some of the more famous formations. The region gets its unique landscape from Blackhand Sandstone. Hocking Hills state park is about 2,300 acres and has close to 15 miles of hiking trail total. It is extremely popular with tourists and I will warn you right now that it gets crowded. I arrived to the park around 8am on a saturday (finding it nearly desolate) but when I was leaving, around 12:30pm, there was a line of cars waiting behind me to try to snag my parking spot... because the parking lot was completely full. And it isn't a small lot. So, come early or if you can try to come during the week.

Devil's Bathtub

I started at the visitor's center and wound my way down to Old Man's Cave. Despite the immense popularity of this location, there aren't particularly good trail maps. But it is pretty hard to get lost. Here is probably the best map of the section I hiked and here is the Ohio DNR map. Don't worry though - there are many trail maps posted within the park and along the routes.



Photographs don't capture it, but in the early morning light, this place is pure magic. It is like nothing I have ever seen. You will follow water winding through strange sandstone formations graced by plush green moss, lose yourself along a river bank, and marvel at rich turquoise waterfalls. You might want to have a quick read of my guide to waterfall photography before you head over!

I started by taking Upper Falls loop trail, which is about 0.6 miles total, and I would rate as "easy."

Upper Falls

You can take a different trail to walk over the bridge that spans Upper Falls, but I didn't. Also, I wasn't kidding about the color of the water. If you complete the loop, you will be then able to pick up Gorge Exit Trail and then journey to Old Man's Cave.

Facing away from Old Man's Cave

Old Man's Cave

Old Man's Cave is an actual cave (although I don't have a picture of it) that you will walk up into. It's a little damp. From Old Man's Cave, I then continued on to Lower Falls.

Hocking Hills Lower Falls

Lower Falls is a beautiful, plunging waterfall.

From here, I picked up the Grandma Gatewood Trail. You can connect to this trail either back up by Old Man's Cave or continue further across some stairs. From here, it's about 2 miles on to Cedar Falls, one of the most iconic falls in the park.



Even if you don't want to continue all the way to Cedar Falls (also accessible by vehicle), I highly recommend taking the Grandma Gatewood trail. It showcases some of the unique and beautiful scenery of the park. You will discover many small unnamed waterfalls, green-blue waters, and towering forests.

wildflowers - Dutchman's Breeches

Cedar Falls - Hocking Hills

Cedar Falls is a unique waterfall because of its shape. By now, you're probably pretty hungry, which works out well because there are plenty of places to sit, have a snack, and enjoy the falls.

If you explore a little bit, there's one more - I think unnamed? - waterfall near Cedar Falls

I ended up taking Gorge Overlook Trail back to my car but actually this trail isn't that scenic. It might be better to honestly take Grandma Gatewood Trail back.

That's it- that was my quick getaway to Hocking Hills! I actually can't wait to get back there - I want to explore other sections of the park like Ash Cave and Cantwell Cliffs. Have you been? What's your favorite section of the park?

Trail Details:
Length: ~ 5 miles
Best time of year: All (I visited in the Summer and am posting this in the winter-- but check out the annual Hocking Hills Winter Hike)
Difficulty: Moderate
Fees: None

That's it! Keep on hiking, folks, and don't forget to subscribe and follow me here and here! Looking for more? Check out my favorite trails.



Comments

Popular Posts